Tuesday, February 2, 2010

$5 Secret Chicken and Rice

Today would have to be one of the most challenging entries to date, made even harder by the fact that I am trying to write this in the seven minutes I have before I need to get to my next class (I think I forgot to mention in my first post that I am a full-time student as well as unemployed chef etc.). It seemed like a great idea to stop and grab some lunch on my way to school this afternoon from Halal Kabab & Grill on 39th St, thinking that I would have at least 20 minutes to eat before heading in. But alas, that thinking was wishful, and I ended up carrying a white plastic bag filled with chicken and rice with white and hot sauce around with me for the past 4 hours. Through a trip on the 7 into midtown, two and a half hours of gender roles in ancient Greece, a rush on the shuttle and the R train to get down to campus, and then finally to my favorite place to do homework on 8th street, 'wichcraft, where I proceeded to secretly eat this chicken and rice from the styrofoam container within my canvas schoolbag while reading Signs of the Times by Thomas Carlyle for my Literature in the Industrial Revolution class. This resulted in a bag full of rice, a case of indigestion, and a distinct disdain but a longing for mechanization.
That being said, the lunch was pretty good, and for $5 I have no complaints.

The chicken was seasoned well (vague, I know), and it seemed to be a mixture of dark and white meat. Please bear in mind that it had been sitting around for half the day, so I may be missing some of the nuances of a freshly made lunch. The sauce in that time had been completely absorbed by the chicken, so I can't say much about it. The rice was nicely spiced, although it would be difficult at this point to tell you what those spices were, as I shoveled it down so fast in between spoonfuls of the tomato soup that I actually purchased here while trying not to get caught by an employee for eating outside food (it really wasn't nice of me, I know). Each long grain of the rice was separate from the next, in a good way, and it has now become a filling and cheap dinner instead of lunch. Very similar to the Halal carts in JH such as the famous Sammy's, but I am not going to say which is better, as I don't think I can really judge anything that I ate under such strange circumstances. I will try it again sometime, definitely.

Halal Kabab & Grill
39 Street, Queens Blvd (that's what the menu says, I'll get a specific address later)
Sunnyside

No comments:

Post a Comment