Thursday, February 11, 2010

Chicken Soup for the Sick

Such a week. What with being sick since Sunday night and the big storm yesterday, I've barely made it out of the house. I got a phone call from my sister-in-law Yolanda this morning, and when I croaked out that I felt much better, thanks, she took control. Stay home, she said, we'll be right over. The blog would have to wait, no choice but to stay put. If you know what's good for you, you'll listen to Yola. And so they came from Corona. Yola, Mari (another sister-in-law), Jonathan (our nephew), and Abuelita, plus the two of us already in the house. Nothing in the fridge to make lunch for 6? Another phone call and that was taken care of too. Chicken soup for you, Yola said to me, and tacos for everyone else. And that was that, lunch ordered from Tulcingo. Not exactly on Roosevelt, but a half a block away from it on 83rd Street.

Jewish or Mexican, everyone knows that chicken soup is the best medicine.
My soup. A rich chicken broth with chunks of cabbage, carrots, and corn. A squeeze of lime, a sprinkle of chopped onions, and some cilantro to top it off. Just what I needed. If I can't have my Mom's or my Grandmother's chicken soup, caldo de pollo makes me feel better.

Tacos de Chorizo, with some nopales.

Yola ordered Mole de Olla. Beef simmered in guajillo broth with chunks of potatoes and corn. Nobody would let me taste it, too spicy for a sore throat. Looked good though.

Everyone enjoying the food. I think. I didn't try anything!

Jonathan catching up on his food reading.

Tacqueria Tulcingo
40-10 83rd St
Elmhurst

2 comments:

  1. Wow the food looks great!! I'll have to try it, especially the Mole de Olla. I haven't had that in ages. Feel better!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janet, when are you going to come out to Queens and eat some of this stuff with me?

    ReplyDelete